Monday, September 14, 2009

~Jalepeno Pepper Jelly~

Jalepeno's, If you grow them, you know they come in abundance! This year I planted about 6 plants.Which means I got alot of these wonderful peppers. Jalepeno's are my favorite pepper! I grow alot and use them in everything. I dry them, use them in salsa's & Jalepeno cornbread! This year I tried something new! Jalepeno Pepper Jelly! Its very good on Bagels with cream chesse. You could even put it on crackers with cream cheese. Heres the recipe I used out of the Ball Blue Book of Preserving.
Jalepeno Pepper Jelly
3/4 pounds of Jalepeno peppers
2 cups cider vinegar, divided
6 cups of sugar
2 pouches liquid pectin
Green food coloring (optional) I dont use it, I like the natural color!
Yeild: about 5 half pints
Wash peppers; drain. Remove stems and seeds. Puree peppers and 1 cup of the cider vinegar in food processor. The smell of these 2 items combining are very potent, try not to inhale. (It always makes me cough) Combine puree , 1 cup vinegar and sugar in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil; boil 10 min, stirring consistently. Stir in liquid pectin. Return to rollin boil. Boil hard 1 min, stirring consistintly. Remove from heat. Skim any foam if neccessary. Stir in a few drops of food coloring, if desired. Ladle hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4inch headspace. Adjust 2 piece caps. Process 10 min in a boiling water canner.
Note: If you choose to not wear gloves (like I do) when cutting peppers. Wash hands after with a couple teaspoons of Kosher Salt, and scrub as hard as you can. This works to get the pepper off your hands and the smell out. I know I have rubbed my eyes after cutting peppers and it burns!

1 comment:

  1. Yum Yum Yum.

    And you certainly have been spoiling us with your plum preserve recipes.

    PS love that pepper sign.

    ReplyDelete

My message board is always hungry! Please feed it with your thoughts!