Thursday, September 1, 2011

Edible front yard full of Melons, Squash and Pumpkins!



As the years go by I run out of growing space. This year I have converted my front yard into an Edible Garden. I have also started buying native plants and have been tucking them here and there.

My front yard has full sun all day, it starts to shade at about 6pm. That's when I decided it would be a good place for all my melons, squash and pumpkins. I am also growing a few tomato plants, eggplant and some basil. We also tossed a few sunflower seeds to add some happiness! Sunflowers just make me smile.


This pumpkin will be an Emerald green when finished. Sadly, I don't know the name of this one. I didnt write it down or save the seed packet.


This is also that same Emerald pumpkin. Its growing in a different shape then the one above. Interesting to see them take different shapes.  


This is a Blue Hubbard Squash. I received these seeds from my friend Daniel over at Your Small Kitchen Garden 


This is also a Blue Hubbard just starting out. I have about 8 of these growing. I have never tried them, I am so excited to taste this one!


This is a basic Pumpkin. There about 6 of these so far, we will use these to carve for Halloween.


Sugar Pie Pumpkins! This will be my second year growing these. 1 pumpkin makes a pumpkin pie. They are so yummy. Looks like by the nice orange color I will be cutting one of these babies up soon. I cant wait for the first pumpkin pie of the season.


Charentais is the name of this melon. I have counted 5 of these so far. This one is also new for me this year. Have you ever tried this variety? Share with me how you like it! Can't wait to try it.


This is a mystery??? It is growing in the compost bin. I am going to let it do it's thing and see what it becomes.


This is also in the compost bin. Another mystery. Surprises are nice! I did have some seedlings that never sprouted and I tossed that soil in the compost. I guess they decided to sprout at their own pace. It will be neat to see what they grow into.

What Squashes, Melons and Pumpkins are you growing in your garden? 
What are your favorites? 
What Squash, Melons or pumpkins are you looking forward to most this year? 


Happy Gardening!!!







9 comments:

  1. You have a lot growing. How will you prepare the hubbard squash?~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. just love what you have growing on <|;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY! Jenn, it's been too long since I've stopped by your site!! the melons are gorgeous and squash, too. The green pumpkin has to be my favorite!! How awesome is that ??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, I am so behind reading and commenting! Argh! What a collection you have. Every year, there is a slight improvement garden-wise for me. Learning from friends like YOU. Next growing season I will definitely have more better squash/pumpkin collection.

    Thanks for sharing! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome is it that your compost mystery grew better than the mini melons we tried? LOL. afraid we just don't have the weather for them, Jenn....that's a great reason to move, right???

    All my best,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the post mate you have written it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great take on this, have shared this with my wife!Landscape Gardener CV Template

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I think the one you forgot the name of could be a Japanese kabocha squash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post I believe has a very high value of information that I really need the most. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post I will recommend this post to any Culinary Schools

    ReplyDelete

My message board is always hungry! Please feed it with your thoughts!